The Bailies of Bennachie care about Bennachie, its natural environment, history and culture - protecting this unique landscape for future generations.
The Bailies of Bennachie were founded in 1973 by Dr Danny G Gordon (with help also from James R MacKay, Algy Watson, Dr James Gill, Helen Fraser, Rev James Wood and more) from a mere 40 enthusiasts initially, now over 5000 members. Membership is now for life - once a Bailie - always a Bailie.
In 1973 the main objectives were:-
- To preserve the amenity of the hill and fight litter and vandalism
- To preserve footpaths and right of way
- To study the geology and biology of the hill and preserve flora and fauna
- To collect and preserve the bibliography of Bennachie
Today our objectives have grown to cover many aspects of the hill and surrounding area:-
- To preserve the amenity of the hill commonly called "Bennachie" and its environs in Aberdeenshire
- To help maintain and improve public footpaths and rights of way on Bennachie
- To encourage the creation and preservation of features of natural, cultural or public interest
- To study and record the natural and cultural history
- To encourage and stimulate public interest in and care for Bennachie, its beauty, history, character and surroundings and to discourage litter and vandalism
- To pursue these objectives by means of meetings and events, both indoors and out, exhibitions, lectures, conferences, publications and publicity and by promoting relevant schemes of a charitable nature, and by cooperating with others having similar aims
- To facilitate and support the dissemination of information relating to Bennachie and its surroundings
- Any other purposes and activities that further the aims of the organisation
The Bailies aim to work with landowners and stakeholders, in the area of Bennachie. This includes Forest Enterprise Scotland (from April 2019 - Forest and Land Scotland), Aberdeenshire Council and the Bennachie Centre Trust . The joint aim of all parties being to look after and maintain Bennachie for the enjoyment of future generations on the hill.
The Bailies of Bennachie is run by a board of 12 Trustees who meet every 6 weeks.
To learn more about us please visit our main web site.