Mini Grass Houses for Kids
- A bunch of ordinary household sponges (unused, standard size, varied colours)
- Magic marker
- Storage container (large, plastic)
- Sharp scissors
- Fast-growing grass seed
- Optional decorative accents
How will you make the grass house? Easy!
- Make sure the new sponges are clean by rinsing them with plenty of clean water. Wring out, but do not dry fully.
- Draw the shapes to cut on the sponges using the magic marker
- Cut out the shapes using the scissors.
- To create the room, use the scissors to cut most of the way through the sponge block to create the angle as shown. Be careful not to cut all the way through.
- Build the house on the inside of the plastic container’s lid.
- Give the house a good spray with a water bottle so that it is damp throughout but not soaking.
- When wet, take a handful of grass seed and sprinkle it all over the sponges.
- Add a little extra spray of water to the seeds and remove excess seeds from the container lid.
- Add the bottom of the container to create a mini greenhouse and position the unit in a warm place with plenty of light. Trim the grass as it grows and water as regularly as needed.
This is part of the Things That Grow information.